The Five Mines - Phoenix Park Mine
Prospector Charles Nelson initially located the Phoenix Mine, just north of the Solomon Mine along the Holy Moses Vein in 1890. Exploration of the mine proved to be unprofitable by a series of owners, and the Phoenix Mine was not mined until 1951. Then the Outlet Mining Company purchased the mine and began processing $500,000 of ore before it was exhausted in 1956. Extensive underground exploration for further ore bodies continued for a year or two afterward to no benefit, the Outlet Mining Company then abandoned the mine permanently.
To divert run off around the waste piles and stop accumulation of metals before entering East Willow Creek, a diversion ditch 175 feet long was constructed in 2003 from the uphill drainage to the south side of the piles. The diversion ditch was then lined with filter fabric and riprap, providing wider areas for flow entry at the top end and energy dissipation at the bottom. The areas disturbed during ditch construction were seeded, fertilized, and mulched in 2004. WCRC was able to reclaim 0.17 acres in total through this management practice. Today, the area is recovering quickly with hearty growth of grasses and trees.
Partners: WCRC, CDRMS, USFS, CDPHE
Total Cost: $ 19,020.00
The waste rock pile of the Phoenix Mine is located in an ephemeral drainage. There is visual evidence that the pile has eroded following thunderstorms. The outslopes of the mine waste are at the angle of repose, and the natural slopes are also very steep. Some access improvement will be necessary.
The drainage will be diverted to south side of the waste rock pile by the construction of a diversion ditch. The diversion ditch will be approximately 175 feet long and will divert run-on drainage to the south onto a vegetated slope.
The diversion ditch must be a final depth of three feet with 2h:1v side slopes and a bottom width of two feet. The ditch will have to be over-excavated to allow placement of riprap. Riprap must be a minimum of one foot in diameter in its smallest dimension. The riprap must be placed over filter fabric. The filter fabric must extend a minimum of 6” beyond the top of the ditch. Riprap must be placed close together to minimize spaces between the individual rocks. Some hand placement will be necessary. All the spaces between rocks must be filled with soil excavated from the ditch.
The inlet to the ditch must extend a minimum of 8 feet to both sides of the existing drainage. Riprap a minimum of one foot in diameter in its smallest dimension must be placed in an area 10 feet wide and 10 feet long below the outlet as an energy dissipater and to allow the drainage to spread out over the vegetated slope below.
Any disturbed areas must be revegetated according to the: